Before we look at what can cause a person to go into shock it is important to learn a bit more about shock. Shock can be a life-threatening situation if you have not taken a first aid course, like the one that is provided by Australia Wide First Aid Adelaide.
The reason shock is so serious is that shock can cause vital organs to be deprived of oxygen including the heart and brain. What you need to look for include cold sweats, pale complexion, rapid low breathing, fast but weak heart rate, sighing and yawning. If you notice any of these, you should have the person lie down, elevate their legs above their head, and ensure their clothing is not tight. You should also cover them up with a blanket. Be sure to call for emergency help as stated above this is a life-threatening situation.
When a person goes into shock, their body shuts down. When this occurs, the blood does not circulate properly and can cause different organs to fail including the heart. Causes of Shock One of the major causes of shock is bleeding. This can be internal or external bleeding and of course, when a person loses too much blood it can lead to death.
Anaphylaxis can be due to asthma, allergies, or other respiratory issues. Dehydration is when a person may be losing too much water from their body often due to sweating. Heart Attack can be brought on due to blockages in the arteries to the heart which will cause damage to the heart. The symptoms of a heart attack include shortness of breath, chest pain, and a skin color change to blue or gray.
Spinal Cord Injury may not only cause shock but can have a long-lasting impact on a person’s daily life. Burns can cause a person to go into shock according to how bad the burn is. If the burn is severe, medical attention will be required.
Carbon Monoxide Poisoning can lead to shock, especially according to the length of time the person has been exposed to the poison. Toxic Shock Syndrome is brought on by the use of tampon and is a very rare bacterial infection, but the shock is one of the symptoms along with others.
Chlorine poisoning often known as breach occurs when a person inhales or swallows the chlorine. This poison will react with water outside as well as inside of the body and creates serious and dangerous combinations that can lead to shock as well as other health issues including circulatory, skin, digestive, and respiratory.
As you can see there are many reasons a person can go into shock. It is always in your best interest to know a few first aid techniques that will aid a person that could pass away if no one is nearby that can help until professionals can arrive. Just by learning a few basic techniques can save a life and it may be one of your own family members.